Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fabric, colours, silhouette, design...


These are the topics that have been occupying the majority of my consciousness since my last post. Although it seems obvious, I have just realised the absolute importance of the combination of these factors - fabric, colours, silhouette and design - to allow me to move forward in the development of my collection. Fabric and colour research has been a huge help to my designing process. There came a point when 2D pencil sketches weren't communicating what I felt the was at the heart of my collection. Not knowing the possibilities of materials out there made me feel limited and a little lost. Looking into fabric properties such as drape has seen enabled my collection's silhouette(s) to emerge, and my designs really evolve to contain more detail and to generally be more 'real'.

Here are scans of my fabric samples so far: 

Neoprene
Jumbo Spandex
Athletic Mesh
Stretch Mesh
Nylon/Spandex
Polyester/Spandex

I have investigated the types stretch-wear that I may use first, as I am more unfamiliar with it than woven fabrics in silk or cotton. The colour range great and I am confident with my findings so far. I am still waiting on some samples of duchess silk satin and chiffon which I plan on combining with the stretch fabrics within single garments or in the creation of an 'outfit'. 

Trying to communicate the silhouette for my collection is difficult without posting pictures of my designs - which I am not ready to do yet! As my scanner has decided to permanently go to sleep (well, it is after midnight...) I will attempt to explain:

Basic shapes will be triangular - a combination of upright and up-side-down. Triangular silhouettes will be interrupted by curved 'eclipsing' lines in the form of cropped tee's and orbital hemlines. 

My attempt to sum up the 'mood' or 'atmosphere' of my collection has been a continuous inner struggle that sounds like "Is it Cyber Woman? no, too nerdy. 'Spacey'? no. Galactic? Definitely not." I'm sure the right words will appear soon. Hopefully before Monday when I have to present... this and many things including completed designs and proposed fabrics. 

Meanwhile, in the studio...I have found that toiling with calico isn't going to be accurate enough for the type of fabrics I want to use in the final garment. This has sped up the intensity of my fabric sourcing ventures to the point of purchase. Exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment