Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Cosmic Romantic

Concept Board Update: New and Improved!

Late last night (or early this morning) I  finalised my designs and started the rough illustrations. Pinning these six 'outfits' onto my cork-board gave me a good idea of how the garments work with each other and some minor changes were made to make the collection stronger. I like to pin my design sketches and fabric sample cards onto my cork-board as I believe that every second that I am looking at them - or can see them out of the corner of my eye - gets my brain subconsciously thinking about design development and new ideas or direction. 

This happened while I tried to sleep. My mind's eye was searching and criticising my designs and fabric in an attempt to sum up the over-all atmosphere of my collection...and I think it got somewhere. I see my collection as orbiting planets interpreted into clothes that 'orbit' the body - either at a safe and even distance, or close...either way is comforting. 

Rather than being dark, scary, cold and lonely, to me space is an ethereal, dreamlike space of weightless orbit.... the immeasurable vastness of your surroundings fuels the imagination and makes you feel like anything is possible - there are no boundaries. Surrounded by the pastel and vibrant colours of nebulla and star formation...witnessing eclipsing planets and the colours that are only seen because our sun radiates light... I guess I am somewhat a 'cosmic romantic'.
 



The above images are some examples of what I want to get digitally printed onto silk and mesh to use in (small) parts of my collection. I am in the process of having samples done now to see how they look. The beautiful colours and forms will create a cosmic atmosphere and give depth to my collection. 



1 comment:

  1. This is going to look so amazing Maya....!!!! I am SO excited to see it!

    ReplyDelete