Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunday is not a day of rest.

My Sunday (as usual) was not a day of rest like it should be...although I did enjoy spray painting ping pong balls to use for my presentation tomorrow. For some reason, I always find spray painting very satisfying. 

To explain: I am going to (eventually) make hollow sterling silver balls to attach to the hemline of one or two garments in my collection to represent planets on an orbital path. This will be my complimentary project this year -  called 'Wandering Stars'. The word 'planet' comes from the Greek term 'planetes' meaning 'wanderer' as ancient astronomers noticed how certain lights moved across the night sky. They called these lights 'asteres planetai' or 'wandering stars'. 

Below shows some initial inspiration for the project:




Some scans of my sketches of some initial ideas on construction and application:


And the ping-pong ball substitute... workin' the hemline. 
 
Finally... my rough toile for one of the 'outfits':

I will need to get my final fabric to move forward with toiling, as I am using neoprene (in this case, for the jacket) and finding it difficult to find a suitable substitute that drapes and handles in the same way. Overall, I am happy with the garments, although adjustments will have to be made to achieve my ideal form and shape.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was wondering if I could ask you about the fabric you used to do your toile?
    Am also doing a collection using neoprene and it's so hard trying to find a fabric that is similar to neoprene (without breaking your wallet) ^_^
    did you just use calico? did it work well?

    Thank you in advance :D
    Lina

    ReplyDelete